Thursday, March 25, 2010

IndyCar: The Task at Hand


It is impossible to overstate the importance of the advisory board that will select a new IndyCar chassis and/or concept to IRL Chief Executive Randy Bernard. A primer that outlines the group's mission was provided this week by Curt Cavin of the Indianapolis Star.

I suggest that you read Cavin's article carefully before you continue reading the analysis here.

The following quote from Bernard's chosen board leader, Retired Air Force General William Looney, is cause for some measure of concern.


"(Bernard) wants to make decisions in an open process with criteria that
comes up with the right answer for everybody, not just one particular interest
group."


I commend Bernard for providing an open process. However, the devil, as they say, is in the details. That is where market success and market failure are determined.

It seems that Looney is describing a political process. In my view, that would be a mistake. Selecting a new chassis is a marketing activity. Ultimately, the "right answer for everybody" is the most cost effective solution that enables IndyCar to attract the greatest possible number of paying spectators and television viewers, as well as corporate dollars that tend to be driven by fan participation.

Therefore, the process of selecting a new chassis should not be about balancing and appeasing established constituencies, but rather it must be about growing the sport in a highly competitive marketplace. That requires establishing and delivering a defined set of core benefits to IndyCar's end users - fans.

I shall have more to say about this matter in the near future.


Roggespierre

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I was wrong. I'm embarrassed that I missed it. Looney is PERFECT for this assignment. There is no more political bunch than flag officers like the General. BTW: I spent more than 20 years around the military, and many flag officers. I know of which I speak. My stomach hurts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rocketman53,

    I spend a decent amount of time negotiating 3rd party contracts for the government. Still, I'm optimistic.

    Why?

    Why not?

    Roggespierre

    ReplyDelete